The purpose of the Freedom of Information Act 1991 (FOI Act) is to promote openness and accountability within the South Australian Government and to facilitate public participation in government decision making. A comprehensive introduction to freedom of information is available on the State Records website.
About Freedom of Information
The FOI Act gives members of the public a legally enforceable right to access documents, subject to certain restrictions, held by South Australian Government agencies, local government authorities, statutory and regulatory bodies and South Australian universities. The FOI Act also gives you the right to apply to have your personal records amended if the information is incomplete, incorrect, and out of date or misleading.
Making an Application
SES applications are managed by the South Australian Fire and Emergency Services Commission (SAFECOM).
In accordance with the FOI Act applications must be made in writing. You may choose to write a letter or use the online application form.
Specify that the application is made under the FOI Act
- View Freedom on Information request for access (PDF) and make an application in writing.
- Submit an application online at sa.gov.au – Make a freedom of information request.
In making an application, ensure you:
- specify that the application is made under the FOI Act
- include your name and address in Australia to which information can be sent
- be accompanied by the prescribed application fee (exemptions apply for Members of Parliament and pensioners or health card holders) If submitting online, payment to be made with a credit card.
- clearly identify the documents being sought or the matter to which they pertain
- specify if the documents contain your personal information
- request the form of access you are seeking, for example specify if you require a copy of the documents or if you wish to inspect the documents.
For more information or assistance with making an application, please telephone (08) 8463 4069.
Applications to Review a Determination under FOI
If you are refused access to all or part of a document that you requested access to, you will be informed of the reasons why and advised of your rights to seek a review or appeal. For further details download Your Rights to Review and Appeal.
You can also seek a review or appeal if you have applied for your personal records to be amended under FOI and amendment has been refused. For further details download Request to Amend an Agency’s Records Concerning Your Personal Affairs.
For more information contact:
South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT)
Telephone: 1800 723 767
Accredited Freedom of Information Officer
SA Fire and Emergency Services Commission
GPO Box 2706
ADELAIDE SA 5001
The Accredited FOI Officer can be reached on (08) 8115 3509 Monday to Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm.